Friday, April 1, 2011

You AIN'T your grandparents

There are a few things society has changed since you were growing up, and visited your grandparents.  Your grandparents (like mine) were OLD people, unlike us...right?

But it's more than that.  I grew up when Eisenhower was the President; there we feared the Russians and 'The Bomb', but the economy was OK.  Today many or out of work, or par-time or working several jobs.  Ethics and morals are also very different as well.

Our kids are working full-time and sometimes, the grandparents become cheaper day-care.  It's not how many dreamed it would be.  But you do what you must.

When I started this blog, I just learned I was to be a grandpa.  I was excited and naivete.  I want to change it a bit to make it a more practical place for grandparents to go.I'm still a bit of both of those, but listening to the stories of other grandparents. 

We lived too far from our grandkids (right now, there are two), and my wife sends a book to each of them once a month.  She was and is a very good teacher, and she want her grandkids to grow up literate.  This is a very simple way to let them know of Grandma's love...and that books are really cool and fun!

I hope to have other ideas, not from my brain but from the other grandparents I know and talk to.  Do you have things you do with your grandchildren that we would benefit from hearing?

Thanks for your input!

-Grandpa George

No comments:

Post a Comment